Sunday, February 1, 2015

Instead of 'Frito Pie' - "Whatever Works!"


All Texans crave hot chili whenever the temperature starts dipping down into the 30’s!  We traditionally enjoy it served over rice, crackers, or Fritos.  So how can we enjoy this wonderful concoction and remain grain free?
Faced with this dilemma, we used our “Whatever Works” mode of thinking, and opted to try it on a bed of lettuce.  We were amazed!
Sorry that I did not get pics of the chili when I made it. I used my normal recipe, but modified it to be more carb friendly. In the past, I used about a 1 ½ # of ground beef and cooked a pound of dry pintos, added to the chili.  To reduce carbs, I omitted the beans.  I added a can of fire roasted tomatoes.  I am really trying to not use canned veggies, but fire roasted tomatoes are good!  I did add a little extra meat.  (Next time I might try ground turkey, but I am trying to use what is in the freezer.)
The first pic shows the bed of romaine lettuce, topped with chopped red bell pepper.  This adds some crunch, & they are so flavorful
 
 
We spooned hot chili over that, adding about 1 ounce sharp cheddar cheese, and garnished with jalapenos. I also cubed an avocado and added that to the side.  Avocados are full of nutrients, and we love them! I’m sure there are some out there who may not be able to handle the idea chili on lettuce, but we loved this!  Remember – “Whatever Works!”     

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment