Wednesday, March 25, 2015

“Whatever Works” instead of Potato Salad


 
With summer grilling season approaching, I’ve been trying to think of something to enjoy with our grilled chicken or ribs that we love so much. I used to make a big bowl of Potato Salad and Baked Beans. Now that we are watching carbs, both of those ideas don’t sound too appealing.

Now I tried taking cauliflower and mashing it up to sub for mashed potatoes some time back and must admit I was not too fond of it. But I decided to go with that idea and flavor it up to see if I could make an acceptable dish. I realize that some of you will be skeptical, but my hubby and I were quite happy with the result!

Here is my version of “Whatever Works instead of Potato Salad”:

16 oz. package frozen cauliflower

3 eggs, boiled, peeled, and diced (sprinkle with black pepper)

2 Tablespoons Mayo

4 Tablespoons Mustard

4 Tablespoons Pickle Relish

2 Tablespoons finely diced red onion

Dash Paprika

Bring enough water to cover cauliflower to a boil. Add frozen cauliflower. After it resumes boiling, cook for 6 minutes. Remove about one third of cauliflower and cube it, as you would cube potatoes in a regular potato salad. Place rest of cauliflower in blender, add mustard and pulse it till it is creamy like mashed potatoes. Put this mixture into a bowl and add all other ingredients. Refrigerate. Enjoy!

I did not add salt to anything! I was careful to not be too generous with the mayo, but did use a little for creaminess. We always like mustard in potato salad, so that helped add flavor. The only change I might try is to add a little celery for extra crunch.

This made enough for 4 generous servings. I made a rough calculation, using information of each ingredient, and estimate each of those 4 servings to have about 116 calories and 9 g Carbs. Now that is better than potato salad!

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment